Monday 29 April 2019

First Azure Makes a Final Appearance.

It was with great surprise that I today saw an immature male Red-eyed Damselfly at my garden pond.It is the first time  this species has been recorded in the garden. I wonder if this is a one off or maybe as my pond has water lilies,further sightings could be possible especially as my next door neighbour  has a larger pond than mine and it is full of water lilies.
Earlier in the day at one of several small container ponds that are in the garden there was an exuvia on a plant stem.The damselfly it seemed,had already flown but some time later it was noted that an expired teneral male Azure was floating just under the water surface.Whether this was the damselfly that emerged is unknown but it would seem likely.Anyway this the first sighting of Azures this season.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment